Certificate Programme in Basic French
Admission Requirements1. Completion of secondary education, or equivalent; or
2. Aged 21 or above.
French and English
Basic French I 45 hours
Basic French II 45 hours
Basic French III 45 hours
Basic French I:
-Class A (231-340105-01) Central Learning Centre
-Class B (231-340105-02) Tsim Sha Tsui Learning Centre
Basic French I:
-Class A (231-340105-01) start date: 16 Feb 2023 (Thu)
-Class B (231-340105-02) start date: 3 Mar 2023 (Fri)
Basic French I:
-Class A (231-340105-01) 6:45-9:45 pm
-Class B (231-340105-02) 7-10 pm
Basic French I $4,100
Basic French II $4,100
Basic French III $4,600
QR Registration No.
QR Registration Validity Period
29/03/2017 - Ongoing
Closing Date for Application
After completion of the programme, participants will be able to read and write informational texts on everyday topics in French; apply a basic knowledge of the culture and geography of the French-speaking world; and use a wide range of largely routine and well practiced skills for communicating in familiar contexts.
Basic French I (45 hours)
It is a beginner's course for those who have never learnt French. It introduces basic grammar and communication skills in French.
1) Greetings, self introduction, asking for basic information
2) Useful vocabulary for daily life conversation
3) Basic sentence structure
4) Descriptions of simple situations
5) Basic French grammar
6) How to write short messages
Basic French II (45 hours)
The course will build on 'Basic French I' to give further training to participants on the communication skills in French.
1) Giving/asking information about education and profession
2) Using common expressions in an ordinary context
3) Understanding basic information about people
4) Telling time
5) Receiving telephone calls
6) Understanding instructions
7) Asking different types of question
8) Writing short messages
Basic French III (45 hours)
This course focuses on reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in French. It is a continuation of 'Basic French II'. In this course, the basic elements of the French language within a cultural context will be further elaborated. Emphasis is on the progressive development of communication skills. At the same time, the teacher will provide opportunities to enhance acquisition of the fundamental elements of the language and understanding of the culture.
- Reading and listening comprehension
- Asking/giving information about living environment
- Asking/giving information about work environment
- Identifying common written mistakes
- Introduction of French culture
On the other hand, you may also continue with the next module in a later term as long as you can complete the entire programme within 3 years (starting from the commencement date of Basic French I).
For new applicants, please fill out the application form and send to us together with
- $150 application fee (non-refundable); and
- the tuition fee of Basic French I
and send your application to Languages Programme Team, 1/F, Bank of America Tower, 12 Harcourt Road, Central, Hong Kong.
The processing time of an application is about 14 working days. The school will notify the applicants of the results by email.
For current students who would like to enroll in the next module (Basic II or Basic III), please
- fill out the application form (no need to fill out Part C if no updates) and send to us together with the tuition fee of the module you applied; or
- enroll online: please select the module and class you wish to apply for and click on “Online Enrolment” on the course information page. (For existing students only)
The School will notify students the results by email.
1. have an attendance rate of 70% or above in each module; and
2. have passed the assessments of each module.
8 CEF Information
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund. This course is recognised under the Qualifications Framework (QF Level 2).
For programmes commencing before 31 March 2023:
CEF Reimbursable Course Title: Certificate Programme in Basic French
CEF Reimbursable Course Code: 24C099994
For programmes commencing from 1 April 2023:
CEF Reimbursable Course Title: Certificate in Basic French
CEF Reimbursable Course Code: 38C142574
Note: only eligible applicant who has successful completed the entire programme can apply for reimbursement of course fees. Students who have completed only one or two of the three modules (e.g. have completed Basic French I only) are NOT eligible for the application for reimbursement.
2. Benchmark Test Requirements:
A1 of Diplome d'Etudes en Langue Francaise (DELF) OR
Level 1 of Test de Connaissance du Francais (TCF)
Applicant should submit the claim for reimbursement of the benchmark test fee with the claim for the tuition fee of the Certificate Programme in Basic French.
For other details about benchmark tests, please refer to CEF website
3. Application and Reimbursement Procedures
Please refer to Information on Continuing Education Fund (CEF)