Continuing Education Fund (CEF)
In 2002, the HKSAR Government announced the setting up of a HK$ 5 billion Continuing Education Fund (CEF) to provide subsidies to those who aspire to enhance their competitiveness in the knowledge based economy through pursuing continuing education. CEF applicants who successfully complete CEF reimbursable courses and pass the required assessments will be reimbursed 80% of the course fees, capped at HK$ 10,000. Starting from September 2003, the scheme has been expanded to degree holders who wish to pursue further studies.
The School has designed a variety of quality programmes and courses in the areas of Business Services, Design, Financial Services, Languages, Logistics, Tourism and Creative Industries that qualify for CEF reimbursement.
- Business Services
- Creative Industries
- Financial Services
- are Hong Kong residents who have the right of abode or the right to land or to remain in Hong Kong without restriction; Holders of one-way permits from Mainland China may also apply. (A copy of the one-way permit and the Hong Kong Smart ID Card should be attached to the application form);
- have enrolled in and paid the tuition fee for a reimbursable course before the course commences;
- are aged between 18 and 65 at the time of application and on seeking reimbursement of their fees; AND
- upon seeking reimbursement of the fees, have not obtained any other publicly-funded financial assistance for the same course, modules or units of study credits.
- If it is the first course for which reimbursement of fees is to be claimed, the applicant must first successfully enrol on the CEF reimbursable CUSCS course of his/her choice and submit the application form before the commencement of that course.
- The applicant must complete the application form (SFO192) which is available from Enrolment Centres, Head Office and District Offices, or downloadable from http://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/forms.htm. Applicants will need the following information to complete the form:
- Name of institution / course provider: CUHK-SCS
- CEF institution code: 105
- CEF course title & code: (as provided in this brochure)
- The actual amount of tuition fees paid & course commencement date: (as provided on the official receipt issued by the School upon successful enrolment on the course)
- The application form must be certified at Enrolment Centres or Head Office.
- The certified application form and photocopy of Hong Kong Smart ID card and, if applicable, one-way permit should be submitted in person or by post to:
Office of the Continuing Education FundOR place the application together with photocopies of HK Smart ID card and if applicable one-way permit in the "dropin box" on 12/F., Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices or 2/F., Kwai Hing Government Offices. Applicants need not submit copies of the School's official receipts at the application stage. These should be retained by the applicant to support the claim for reimbursement after successful completion of the course.
Room 916, 9/F
Kwai Hing Government Offices
166-174 Hing Fong Road
Kwai Chung, N.T.
- Applications are processed on a first-come-first-served basis, subject to availability of funds. The date of receipt of the application by OCEF will be taken as the date of application.
- Normally, application results will be available within 2 weeks from the date of receipt of applications. Where applications contain incomplete or inaccurate information, applicants will be asked to give an explanation or provide supplementary information, in which case the processing time will be longer.
- Once the application has been approved, there is no need to submit another application before the commencement of other reimbursable course(s).
Please contact us at Tel: 2209-0290 or visit School website at cuscs.hk for details of courses and application information.
Making a Claim for CEF Reimbursement
- OCEF will provide a Reimbursement Claim Form (RCF) to the successful applicant. The form should be submitted after successful completion* of the course(s) and, in any event, within four years from the date the application was approved. "Successful completion*" of the course means the claimant has an attendance rate of not less than 70% (or such higher attendance requirement as prescribed for the course) and has passed the course assessment as required by CUSCS.
- The completed RCF must be certified at CUSCS Head office or Enrolment Centres. Please provide Letter of Certification and official receipt to verify the completed RCF.
- Letter of Certification (for CEF Reimbursement)
Claimants who have successfully completed CEF reimbursable course(s) could apply for a Letter of Certification with our School for making a claim for CEF reimbursement. To have completed a CEF reimbursable course means the student has an attendance rate of not less than 70% (or such higher attendance requirement as prescribed for the course) and has passed the course assessment. The Letter of Certification will be issued to applicant within 14 working days from the date of receipt of the application form. The application form is available from CUSCS Head office, CUSCS Enrolment Centres and CUSCS website. For enquiries, please call 2209 0235.
- Claimants should submit the following to OCEF:
- Completed and certified RCF
- Copy of CUSCS official receipt showing the tuition fee(s) claimed
- Letter of Certification
- Front page of his / her bank passbook / statement showing the name, account number and bank name / bank code
- Claimants studying language courses (except written Chinese) are additionally required to pass a specified benchmark test at the specified (or higher) level within the four-year validity period. Information on the benchmark tests can be obtained from the following website: http://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/cncourseinfo.htm. Benchmark Test / Examination fees may also be reimbursed if accompanied with a claim for the relevant language course (except written Chinese). Claimants should complete a Reimbursement Claim Form for Benchmark Test / Examination Fees (SFO 205) and attach copies of documentary proof of passing the specified benchmark test at the specified (or higher) level and the examination fee receipts with the documents stated in (4) above to OCEF.
- Reimbursement will be made within six weeks from the date OCEF receives the RCF provided the information and documents are complete and accurate. Additional information / clarification will be requested from the claimant as necessary. Reimbursement will be by direct credit to the claimant's bank account. The claimant should ensure that he / she is the sole account holder and the name of the account is exactly as shown on the Hong Kong Smart ID card.
- Each applicant may make four claims of reimbursement, subject to a ceiling of HK$ 10,000 within four yearsfrom the date the application was approved. The CEF account for the applicant will be closed once the fourth reimbursement has been made or when the full sum of HK$ 10,000 has been drawn or at the end of the four-year period notwithstanding any unclaimed balance remaining in the account. Applicants are not eligible to re-apply in future.
* Labour and Welfare Bureau has introduced the following major amendments to the eligibility of claiming course fees reimbursement under CEF. They are:
- CEF claimants would be eligible for fee reimbursement only upon their successful completion of the whole course. They may claim reimbursement upon completion of a module only if the module is registered individually on the list of CEF reimbursable courses.
- CEF claimants are required to attain the overall mark for either 50% or such higher percentage of assessment(s) as prescribed for the course (whichever is higher) as assessed by whichever method approved by the Secretary for Labour and Welfare (including any examination and assignment requirements with approved weighting) before they are eligible for fee reimbursement.
- CEF claimants are required to attend no less than 70% of the contactable hours of the course or such higher attendance requirement as prescribed for the course (whichever is higher) to meet the fee reimbursement criteria.