What CUSCS offers can be broadly categorised into general courses and award-bearing programmes.
General courses, normally lasting for two to four months each, have no specific admission requirement, and are generally for self-enrichment. Since 1979, CUSCS has been offering award-bearing programmes at advanced diploma, professional diploma, diploma, and certificate levels. These programmes have specific admission requirements and are designed in accordance with the guidelines and standards set by CUHK. These programmes lead to academic awards or professional qualifications for those who wish to enhance their skills and knowledge in their particular fields of study.
CUSCS courses and programmes cover a wide range of disciplines including Art and Design, Humanities, Creative Media, Music, Business and Management, Accounting and Finance, Social Sciences, Applied Sciences, Languages, Health Care, Information Technology and Technology Management as well as Nature and Environment.
Starting from 1988, CUSCS has diversified its portfolio in collaboration with professional organisations, as well as academic institutions in Mainland China and overseas to offer award-bearing programmes, including:
- Master of Arts Degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (with Lancaster University, UK)
- Master of Education Degree in Curriculum and Teaching Methodology (Teaching Chinese as a Second Language) (with Beijing Language and Culture University, mainland China)
- Bachelor of Business in Computer Systems Management (with Victoria University, Australia)
- Bachelor of Business (Event Management) (with Griffith University, Australia)
- Bachelor of Business (Hotel Management) (with Griffith University, Australia)
- Bachelor of Business (Management) (with Griffith University, Australia)
- Bachelor of Business (Marketing) (with Griffith University, Australia)
- Bachelor of Design (Visual Communicaton Design) (with Griffith University, Australia)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) (with Flinders University, Australia)
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (Digital Media) (with Flinders University, Australia)
- Bachelor of Media and Communication (with Queensland University of Technology, Australia)
- Bachelor of Nursing (with La Trobe University, Australia)
- Professional Diploma Programme in Legal Executive Studies (with The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives, UK)
- Certificate in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language (with Beijing Language and Culture University, mainland China)
- Certificate in Teaching Putonghua (Summer Follow-up Programme) (with Beijing Language and Culture University, mainland China)
Collaborations with academic units of the CUHK include:
Faculty of Arts:
- Department of Chinese Language and Literature, Department of Fine Arts, Department of Linguistics and Modern Languages, Centre for Sign Linguistics and Deaf Studies, Divinity School of Chung Chi College, Centre for the Studies of Daoist Culture (Department of Cultural and Religious Studies)
Faculty of Business Administration:
- Department of Finance, Department of Management, Department of Marketing and School of Accountancy
Faculty of Medicine:
- Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Department of Paediatrics, Department of Surgery, The Nethersole School of Nursing
Faculty of Science:
- School of Chinese Medicine
In support of the Government's initiatives to provide secondary school leavers with additional pathways to pursue higher education in Hong Kong, the School has been offering a variety of Higher Diploma Programmes since 2002. In response to the implementation of the new "334" academic structure, the School introduces the tailored 2-year Higher Diploma Programmes for HKDSE students in 2012 - 13 academic year.
CUSCS also offers tailored corporate training courses to private companies, government departments and non-government organisations, schools and universities in Hong Kong, Macau, mainland China, and overseas. They aim to improve participants' knowledge and skills in both English and Chinese, Information Technology, China Business, Administrative Management, School Leadership and Management, Bilingual Teaching, Journalism, Accounting, Law, Public Administration, City Planning, Landscape Design and Management, Psychology, Public Health Management, Nutrition and Health Products etc. Commendations have been received on both the course design and academic standard of these courses.
CUSCS is a self-financing unit of CUHK. Its academic development and policies are regulated by the University Extension Board, the Senate Academic Planning Committee and the Senate of CUHK.
The head office of CUSCS is situated at the Inter-University Hall on CUHK campus in Shatin. CUSCS has four major learning centres in the city centre, located at:
Bank of America Tower, 12 Harcourt Road, Central,
Oriental Centre, 67 Chatham Road South, Tsimshatsui,
East Ocean Centre, 98 Granville Road, Tsimshatsui, and
Tsui Lam Estate, Tseung Kwan O.