- 1965Department of Extramural Studies of The Chinese University of Hong Kong was established, offering courses mainly in culture, art and languages.
- 1979Began offering award-bearing programmes at certificate, diploma, advanced diploma and professional diploma levels.
- 1988Started collaboration with professional organisations, as well as overseas and mainland academic institutions to offer award-bearing programmes.
- 1994Renamed as the School of Continuing Studies, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 1996Introduced tailor-made corporate training services to various organisations in Hong Kong and Mainland China.
- 2001Launched full-time Pre-associate Degree and Associate Degree programmes in 2001 and 2002 respectively. (These programmes have been run by The Chinese University of Hong Kong – Tung Wah Group of Hospitals Community College since September 2005.)
- 2002Began offering full-time Higher Diploma programmes, in support of Hong Kong SAR Government's initiative in enhancing access to higher education.
- 2005Started admitting non-local students from Mainland China and South-East Asia for full-time Higher Diploma programmes.
- 2006Renamed as the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Launched the full-time Top-up Undergraduate Degree programmes in collaboration with overseas universities.
Expanded the Central Learning Centre.
- 2007Opened the Mongkok Learning Centre. (The Centre was closed in July 2012, while Tseung Kwan O Learning Centre was opened in September 2012.)
- 2008Offered more than 200 programmes which were included in the Qualification Register.
- 2009Offered about 500 CEF reimbursable courses.
- 2010Launched the new School's emblem and set up five academies, namely the Creative Academy, Liberal Arts Academy, Management Academy, Professional Development Academy and Advanced Development Academy.
- 2011Signed memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies, strengthening cooperation between the two schools.
- 2012Opened the Tseung Kwan O Learning Centre.
Launched Continuing and Professional Education Centre (CPEC), Shenzhen Research Institute, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.